Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Walk to Emmaus



"While they were talking and discussing together, Jesus himself drew near and went with them."
-Luke 24:15, ESV

This past weekend I went on a retreat called Walk to Emmaus.  The weekend is based on Luke 24:13-35, where Jesus walked with two men on the road to Emmaus after he had risen.  They didn't recognize him, but he taught them the scriptures about himself and all that had happened that first Easter.  When they got to Emmaus, Jesus broke bread with them and they recognized him.

In form, I learned so much from the speakers and the people on this retreat.  I met the most amazing women, and we shared our hearts and our stories along the road.  Jesus was present in the learning and the love, and I know I met people who will be dear to my heart forever.

Most of all, it was so incredible for my heart to be reminded that Jesus loves us.  Now, I was raised in the church, participated in Bible bowls, went to camp, listened to my parents, and was generally a pretty good kid.  I know the words to "Jesus Loves Me," and my childhood Sunday school classes taught me of his love often.

But too often, my heart would forget what my head had been taught.

Turns out, I've been trying to earn my way to Heaven.  I wasn't doing it on purpose - if you had asked me, I would have told you that we are a broken people and God sent his Son to save us.  We can't do it on our own and we need Jesus.  I know that.  But while I would speak those words, I would put a lot of pressure on myself to do well, to be good.

Even if my actions were right, they did not come from a place of love, but a place of duty.

That pressure quickly becomes a burden, and I found myself burnt out and unmotivated.  I could get by, but I grew dissatisfied and cynical.  Life was good from the outside, but I was weary.

My Walk to Emmaus was certainly on God's timing.  This refreshing retreat could not have come at a better time.  I was wrapped up and surrounded by love - the love that our sovereign God has for his creation.  The love that is displayed on the cross.  The love that makes beautiful things out of dust.

Now, I am inspired to do good and be well.  The good to be done is in response to Jesus - his love fills my heart, then overflows and pours out from my words and my hands. I am broken, I am weak, and I am loved.  The world is broken, the world is weak, the world is loved.  This, my friends, is the beautiful truth.


"This is how God showed his love for us: God sent his only Son into the world so we might live through him.  This is the kind of love we are talking about - not that we once upon a time loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to clear away our sins and the damage they've done to our relationship with God."

-1 John 4: 9-10, The Message Translation



No comments :

Post a Comment

Chime on in!